Cat.No. KIT 029
A quantitative assay for the determination of oligomerized Mannan-binding lectin (MBL) in human serum or heparin plasma.
0.5 – 40 ng/mL
Mannan-binding lectin (MBL)
Mannan-binding lectin (MBL) is an important component of the innate immune system. However, in at least 12% of the average Caucasian population, the circulating level of functional MBL is insufficient. This makes MBL deficiency by far the most common primary immunodeficiency.MBL is a plasma protein that activates the complement system on binding to invading pathogens including bacteria, viruses, protozoa and fungi. This leads to the phagocytosis or lysis of the invading microorganisms. MBL also has more subtle immunomodulatory effects. Only the normally oligomerized forms of MBL are functional, i.e. capable of binding efficiently to microbial carbohydrates.
Effects of genetic variants on MBL function ans serum levels.
Correlation between MBL genotype and serum MBL concentrations (ng/mL). MBL levels were determined by KIT 029 (5).
O=B,C or D. Values in A/D genotypes are generally higher than in A/B or A/C genotypes.
1. Adamek M, Heyder J, Heinold A, Fiedler G, Opelz G, Tran T.H (2013) Increased risk of pertussis in adult patients with mannose-binding lectin deficiency. 82:410-415
2. Grondahl-Yli-Hannuksela K, Viander M, Mertsola J, He Q (2013) Increased risk of pertussis in adult patients with mannose-binding lectin deficiency. APMIS. 121:311-315
3. Pradhan V, Mahant G, Rajadhyaksha A, Surve P, Rajendran V, Patwardhan M, Nadkarni A, Dighe S, Ghosh K. (2013) A study on anti-mannose binding lectin (anti-MBL) antibodies and serum MBL levels in Indian systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Rheumatol Int. 33:1193-1199
4. Yamanaka A, Hendrianto E, Mulyatno KC, Susilowati H, Ginting AP, Sary DD, Soegijanto S, Konishi E (2013) Correlation between Complement Component Levels and Disease Severity in Dengue Patients in Indonesia. Jpn J Infect Dis. 66:366-374
5. Steffensen, R, Thiel, S, Varming K, Jersild C, Jensenius JC, (2000) Detection of structural gene mutations and promoter polymorphisms in the mannan-binding lectin (MBL) gene by polymerase chain reaction with sequence-specific primers, J Immunol methods 241: 33-42